Built in 1898 with its commanding bell tower, the Red Oak Fire Department station housed the horses and equipment on the first floor, with stairs leading up to the firemen’s quarters. Teams of horses were trained to “answer the bell” and walk into their harnesses. Pac and Pac served until 1912, replaced by Dude and Dandy until 1918, when motorized equipment was introduced.
Modifications: In 1901, 2-story jail addition. In 1907, 2-story stables built to south. In 1924, onestory City Tool House built. In 1948, north
addition built, tied together City Tool House, City Jail and Firehouse.
Height: Two story.
Windows: Wood 1/1 windows, wood doors and garage doors.
Stylistic features: Brick corbeling, arched window openings.